Friday, July 30, 2010

Morning Bread Pudding

Good morning ladies and gentlemen (do I have any male readers besides my Father and Husband?)~
I thought I would share my delicious breakfast with you!!!
I made Bread Pudding!
It's like itty bitty crusty and cinnamon-y French Toast nuggets!
With hot homemade caramel sauce!!!!
And whipped cream!
Bread Pudding:

1 crusty baguette, cut into cubes
3 eggs
1 c milk
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 c melted butter
1 tsp vanilla

Stale bread is fantastic for this recipe! You can also cut up a leftover baguette from dinner, this is what I did, and leave it uncovered to go stale over night.

Melt 1 tbsp butter in baking dish. Mix all but the bread in a large bowl. Add the bread to the custard-like mixture and soak it in it for an hour (you can add the rest of the melted butter
to the mixture if you wish). At this point you can also add any dried fruit you wish, like raisins, dried tart cherries (my favorite!), apricot pieces or dried apples! Add to the buttered baking dish and bake for 1 hour on 350.

Homemade Caramel Sauce:

1/2 c white sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c heavy whipping cream
1 stick butter
1 tsp vanilla

Heat everything but the vanilla, bring to a boil. Lower and simmer for 5 minutes, continuously whisking. Remove from heat and add vanilla.

Serve warm with hot caramel sauce! I love it for breakfast... especially brunch. It is easy to assemble and most can be done over night. If you do prepare it ahead- do not add the bread to the custard mixture until 1 hour before you bake it.

I have really enjoyed linking up with new bloggers though blog parties and I discovered this one : http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/ . It is called Foodie Friday at the blog Designs by Gollum. Truly up my alley!

Enjoy!
Rachel

2 comments:

  1. This looks so fabulous. I love bread pudding but never thought of it for breakfast! What a great idea and wouldn't houseguests just flip over something like this? They would probably never leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried to make bread pudding, but this looks great.

    I have three sons myself, and you just got yourself another follower.

    I’m stopping by from Foodie Friday.
    I made danske pandekager, if you want to see how delicious they are check them out @ Frugality Is Free

    ReplyDelete