Sunday, November 8, 2009

Stuffed Cabbage (recipe)

Wow- what a week! My mom decided to finally teach me some of her age old family recipes then went and broke her hip later that night! UGH! She actually is being such a trooper! She had surgery Thursday, the day before her 74th birthday and got a brand, spanking new hip ball joint to show for it! Between daily visits to her, keeping up with my family duties and having my sister stay at my house the rest of the week... I am exhausted!!! But I really want to share my Mom's recipe with all of my friends :)
This picture is missing a few of the ingredients that are needed so don't pay to close attention, my Mom decided to tell me I needed apple sauce well into getting the sauce underway- we had no applesauce so we made our own! (picture below!) You will need a lb + ground beef, a head of green cabbage, 8 small 0r 4 medium cans of tomato sauce, apple sauce, 1 tbsp onion powder, 3 tbsp uncooked white rice, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp garlic salt, 1 tbsp black pepper, the juice from 2 lemons and an egg. Boil the entire head of cabbage.
If you are making applesauce like we had to- boil the 2 cut and peeled apples in a 1/2 c water with the minced onion. YES- with the minced onions!
Here is Mom seasoning the meat. Add the garlic salt, the pepper, onion powder and rice, mix well with clean hands.
Add the egg, to bind.

For the sauce, add the juice of 2 lemons, the sugar and the applesauce concoction; simmer over medium heat as you stuff the meat in the cabbage leaves! Pull the cabbage out of the boiling water CAREFULLY! I used to big Chinese strainers to lift. Quickly add the hot cabbage head to a ice bath. Pull all of the leaves away from the core, gently. I also cut the rib at the base to make the leaf more pliable.
Place about 2 tbsp, rolled in a ball, into the cabbage leaf and roll like a burrito. Tuck the edges into the bottom so they stay intact as they simmer away!
You should end up with a hefty platter full of Stuffed Cabbage! Gently place the rolled cabbage into the simmering sauce. Cook on med - low heat for about 1 1/2 hours. ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. yummmmmm! sounds delish, but now I want to see a picture of the finished product! I'd like to try this sometime. thanks for sharing the recipe Rachel, and hope your mom continues to heal well. She looks and sounds like a fun lady!!

    ReplyDelete