Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Apple Cider Upside Down Cake

I was in search of a devine apple treat for my family on Thanksgiving. I decided against the obvious, Pioneer Women's skillet apple cake because I do not use a cast iron pan and the thought frightens me! I always have the baking essentials on hand and wanted to make sure I found a recipe that I already had the building blocks for at home! So I decided to venture over to her other site, Tasty Kitchen http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/desserts/apple-cider-upside-down-cake/ and found this recipe :
Ingredients:

1 stick (1/2 Cup) Butter, Divided
1-¼ package Brown Sugar, Divided
2 Apples, peeled, cored and sliced, like rings
1-½ cup All-purpose Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
¼ teaspoons Salt
½ teaspoons Cinnamon
⅔ cups Apple Cider
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 whole Egg

Directions :

Preheat oven to 350F.

Take one stick of butter and cut it so that you have 1/3 cup. That will leave you with 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons for the topping. Set aside the 1/3 cup of butter.
Melt the 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter in a 9-inch cake pan. (I just did it in the microwave for 30 seconds on 50% power.) Sprinkle 1/2 cup of brown sugar over the top of the butter.

Peel and slice the apple. I used Granny Smith. Layer the slices on top of the sugar/butter. Set aside.

In a large mixer bowl, add the flour, remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Mix together and then add the reserved 1/3 cup butter, cider, vanilla, and egg. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour over the top of the apples/sugar/butter in the cake pan. No need to grease the sides at all.

Bake for 40 minutes. Let it cool for about a 1/2 hour then turn it upside down on a cake stand!
I haven't tasted it yet, but it does smell devine! With a dollop of ice cream- YUM!

Happy Thanksgiving, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment