Sunday, April 21, 2013

Homemade Marshmallows

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons gelatin (I use 2 envelopes of Knox)
1 Cup cold water (1/2 cup for boiling with the sugar and 1/2 cup to dissolve the gelatin)
2 Cups granulated sugar
½ Cup powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
2 Teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:
Coat a large roasting pan or jelly roll sheet with powdered sugar.

Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup of water, to dissolve while you start boiling your sugar. Set aside.

Whisk the granulated sugar and the remaining 1/2 cup of water and simmer over a medium heat until the sugar is fully dissolved. (Or until it reaches 210 degrees on a candy thermometer)

Add the dissolved gelatin to the hot sugar mixture and whisk, do not let it boil over because this is on very hot sticky mess... Trust me, I made the intake the second time I made it this weekend! Immediately remove from the heat.

Quickly pour it in to your Kitchenaid or stand mixer and set on the lowest, first setting. PLEASE use caution as this is sooooo very hot, like lava! Then add the salt and vanilla and slowly raise the speed setting to the highest setting (10 on the Kitchenaid) and whip for about 15 minutes. At this point it has more than doubled in size and becomes snowy white!

Pour into sugared pan and spread evenly. I refrigerate for about a half hour to set it faster.

Coat the top with a bit more powdered sugar and cut into the perfect bit sized squares. Surprisingly it releases very easily and the clean up is a breeze, except the stovetop! Place on a waxed paper lined platter, about a fingers width apart.

I have to admit, these are the best s'more marshmallows ever!













1 comment: